Saturday, June 28, 2014

Spirited Away

So it turns out, someone died. She was only 22.
Wow, that just ... really narrows it down, huh!

She didn't mean much to me, probably, in the grand scheme of things. The casual acquaintance who seems a little crazy at times and who never seems to have a dull moment.
From what I can see on her Facebook page, it is clear that she touched many lives, including mine.
Not in any majorly significant way. I never kissed her, or dreamed about her in any way. I knew her, but as that short kid who didn't take crap and was always happy hanging out with the self-professed 'nerds'. She was the touchy-feely type, which was cool because have I mentioned hugs are freaking awesome? Also boobs. I'm a guy, and I'm straight. I notice boobs. Deal with it.

No, she didn't mean much, just like a helicopter doesn't mean much to an alligator.
Actually, wait, does that even make sense?
What the hell am I drinking? Nothing? Dammit, brain, now how do I excuse this splattering of mumbo-jumbo?
... forget I said it.
... Wait, you can actually erase things in a blog post? Shit, wish I'd thought of that before going on this word bender.

I have very few people in my life who I could say I am 'close' to. Eleanor wasn't one of them. Most of them - nay, all of them - are not within walking distance (or even reasonable driving distance) from my current location. My dad's mother passed away recently - but I barely knew her. My sister could have been near death multiple times in the past year. My brother, too, except we didn't really endear ourselves to each other in our formative years. I honestly don't know how I'd react if either of them were to depart this plane of existence. And, speaking from experience, I would never be able to talk to them comfortably about the things I truly enjoy.

Eleanor does mean something to me, contrary to what one may have inferred from my words above. She is carefree, fun-size (short people are the best), and beautiful. I will probably never miss her as much as her family, or her close friends. The best I can say is that, with the whole world going to shit, she's in a better place. At least she died in her sleep (hopefully without any discomfort).

Every time I travel the roads of India - by foot or otherwise - I am forced to confront my mortality. I cannot count the number of scenarios I have envisioned of my own death. It's not fun, and I wish my brain would stop. I feel like it has made the concept of death too unreal for me - like all I have to do is change the variables of my imagination, and I will survive everything. I won't, and nor do I want to. I just want to live without pain - as does everyone, right?

Don't worry, Ellie. We weren't close - but in the grand scheme of things, I don't matter. You, however, deserve to be larger than life.

No comments: